Monday, September 22, 2008

Ms. Elderhaus Goes to Prom


The Elderhaus play was Friday night and it went GREAT! Two of my co-workers wrote the bulk of the play, the participants made their input, and I took over one co-worker's spot and was a director and an actress in the play. I got to play a maid, an exercise instructor/maid, and I was part of the prom scene. The play was about an older woman who had never been to a dance and her boyfriend of 50 years goes to a day program that was holding a prom and she got invited. (Elderhaus has a "Senior Prom" every year and that's what the play was inspired from). She had 3 sisters who each wanted to go, but the most important thing to her was that she found her red dancing shoes. Throughout the play, the main character is trying to find red shoes and she never finds them, but her boyfriend surprises her at the dance with her perfect shoes! :) It's hard to explain if you don't know exactly what I do and the program I work for, but it was amazing! Tim went and sat with the ladies I invited from the Winslow (my internship site-an independent living center for older adults). Him and the gals talked and had a great time. The best part of the night...well, one of many...was the last scene was the actual prom scene and I was a maid/wallflower at the dance and so I grabbed Tim from the audience (he WAS warned beforehand) and we shared our first dance together. :) But another high point in the night was when one of the participants wanted to give Tim a hug and he did so. She was crying tears of joy after the show and she gives the best hugs in the world! Tim said his cheeks hurt so bad by the end of the night because he was smiling so much! The ladies from the Winslow really loved it and want to come again next year. :) The whole show was a success and the participants were having SO much fun. I wish everyone could have seen how happy they were! I cried on my way home because I was so proud of them and their hard work. And I was so happy because Tim really connected with the ladies and the participants. :) The picture is of us after the play. (I can't post pics of the actual play because I'm not sure if the participant's families would like that...I'd rather be safe than sorry).
Other than that, life is going GREAT! I'm super busy...as usual...but things are going well. The weeks are going by SO fast, it's ridiculous! School is going well. My sign language class is AMAZING! I'm learning so much. My internship is going pretty well also. I sang Sunday morning again and had a blast. I haven't worked with the kidos in two weeks so I miss them a lot. One of the girls turned 4 this week so she's moving to the 4-year-old class. :( She will be missed, but we're very excited for her and she is stoked to move up to the big(ger) kid's class.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You are big nerd! Love you!