Monday, June 8, 2009

Encounter with a 3rd Kind...

Most people have been pulled over by a cop way before they are 22 years old. Well, I was one exception. I have fortunately never been pulled over...until Saturday evening. It was definitely not the worst experience, but I was shaking and extremely nervous. He pulled me over because my break light was out and I just got a warning. Tim and I fixed it as soon as we got back to my house, but I was still shaking at that point.

It started out by my grabbing everything out of my glove compartment because I had no idea what I was going to need. Then the cop comes up to my window and I didn't see him so I got a little startled. But he asked for my license, registration, and proof of insurance. I told him and I didn't know what 2 of those looked like because I'd never been pulled over before. He kinda chuckled because he just assumed everyone knew because most have been pulled over before. He was a very nice man and funny. He asked me things like, "So, how is your first time being pulled over going? Is it a good experience so far?"

I couldn't find the correct registration so he had to look it up in his computer. I eventually found it. He handed me my warning to sign. My hands were shaking it was a little too hard to do so. He then told me, "It's been a pleasure doing business with you. You did a great job. The only thing I have to say is next time, you should pull into the parking lot because this is a busy street." I just pulled over as soon as possible and didn't even think about that. Tim was following me so he pulled into the next parking lot to make sure I was ok. He knows that I have a hard time trusting cops and luckily, it was still light outside so I wasn't as freaked out. That and the officer didn't turn on his sirens, just his lights. That would've really freaked me out. But overall, my first experience with a "3rd Kind" was very interesting and not as bad as I thought. :) I'm glad that it's over and done with and hopefully I won't have to deal with that again.

1 comment:

Cassie and Chris said...

Why do you call cops "3rd Kind"? You can Chris if he wants to pull you over for more practice? He has had lots of practice on both sides, he could teach you a few things. Just to let you know it doesn't get easier even after being pulled over once. Your heart will race every time.